Re: [VIC] Why is R711 so loud?

James Brook <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3955FAE6.3F88A88@ozemail.com.au">news:3955FAE6.3F88A88@ozemail.com.au...

> Does anyone know exactly why this loco is so loud. I have never heard a
> steam loco as loud as this one. I'm assuming that it has something to do
> with the exhaust system.

'Spose its to do with the wizzo exhaust arrangements.

Speaking of noise, the other day I was in a room listening to a person from
DOI giving a presentation about the Melbourne Airport Link.  Anyway, one of
the issues that has arisen is that there is absolutely no noise standards
for rail in Victoria currently.  So as part of the 'investigation' process,
DOI has engaged consultants to develop some noise emission standards for the
Airport Link.  One of the questions asked was the obvious one: "Will the
standards be retrospective for existing lines/equipment?  The DOI bloke was
notably uncommittal one way or the other.

What's this got to do with R711?

Much as its a supa doopa wizzo loco, I have stood in Ballarat Station as it
has barked along under the roof, under those conditions it really is way
*too* loud.  Especially compared with (old) R766 which came through a few
seconds/minutes later.  If R711 is to survive in the long term, in an
environment where noise emission standards are only ever going to get
tighter, I personally believe it will need some sort of noise
abatement/muffling.  Quite what that does to the steam efficiency I don't
know...

--
HXP1
(now with v6.08 software)