Re: [Melb] W-class trams return delayed

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 00:09:52 +1000, Chris <csinn@netlink.com.au>
wrote:

>Well Yarra trams can say that they have found no faults with their W
>class( A city Circle ran up the back of another tram due to brake
>failure),

Yarra are "claiming" that that was driver error - and the driver has
been suspended...so if somebody proves that the brakes are defective
then Yarra will have egg on their face!

but like the Ws in Swanston, which are exactly the same, the
>fault with the braking system has progressivly gotten worse in the
>resent period. I spoke to a maintenance fitter on the Ws who said that
>despite all efforts the Ws persist in having brake problems. He said
>that components were being sent to Ballarat workshops to be remachined,
>or fixed and that the modifications are being removed from the brakes.

I heard Yarra are trying to blame something else apart from the slack
adjusters...just the fact that the trams are getting old (some
excuse???) and need replacing ($$$)

This seems to be a problem that has occured since privatasion, and the
companies have done nothing but encourage it with their comments to
the press and their inaction.

>They knew all along about the problems, but chose to ignore it.

>old trams that are running around now is the restaraunt tram as it was
>not modified

The resturant tram is running because it is operated by a private
operator (another one....not Yarra)   The restuarant trams are
maintained by the same people that maintain the other W's at Southbank
Depot..so why would they be any different?

If the "slack adjusters" are the problem, then why not just remove
them from the W's?  If they did that they would be mechanially no
different then the resturant.  This makes me ask the question why are
the resturant trams still running?  Methinks that financial reasons
are making the Resturant Trams stay on the road/tracks

Anyway the restuarant trams are having problems with derailments.  A
few weeks ago one derailed turning from Spencer Street into Bourke
Street (you can see the marks on the road where they tried to put it
back on) and they always have problems turning the curve from Fitzroy
Street into Park Street, St Kilda (Route 12 terminus) but cannot find
the reason!  Why are they still on the road?