Re: First Automatic signal?

In article <3950557A.EBC685BF@yahoo.com>,
  Sam Eades <eadess@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just out of interest, does anyone know where, when and why the first
> Automatic Signal (ie, not controlled by a signaller/other operator) in
> each State and Territory was comissioned?
>
> Sam Eades

As quoted from my copy of "Safe Signals - A history of NSW Signalling"

"On Sunday 22nd June, 1913, the two new Illawarra lines were opened,
and simultaneously on the section between Eveleigh Loco Junction and
Sydenham, the Tyers one-wire block system was replaced with Automatic
Power Signalling. This was the first in Australia."

"The first country section to be equipped with Automatic signalling was
the 2 miles 25 chains section between Kalibah and Adamstown in late
1913. It was also the first section to be equipped with electrically
operated upper quadrant signals. This gave the caution indication at 45
degrees and dispensed with the need for the extra distant signal."

"Automatic signalling was first tried in USA and the first system on a
British main line was on the London and South Western Railway. It began
on 20th April, 1902."

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/