Re: Is this safe?

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:03:38 +1000, luis <luisc@bigpond.com> wrote:

>--------------EB94FA17685303D6FE883D42
>
>Northpower have intalled a new 180,000,000 volts electric line along the
>railway line between Mullumbimby and Murwillumbah, the question is How
>safe is  it , if there is an accident /derailment? How safe is it to the
>railway workers doing maintanance?.

At 180 million volts, I feel sure it would strike any maintenance
worker stone dead from a distance of a kilometre. I don't feel safe
from it down here in Sydney even.

Perhaps 180 thousand volts? The usual safety concerns apply, including
the fears from radiation. I was born under a 55 kV powerline, which
only goes to prove.

Geoff Lambert