Re: hobos and train hopping

> From: noffo_dei@my-deja.com
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:01:06 GMT
> Subject: hobos and train hopping
>
> is there a website or some information on riding freights in
> Australia ?  I'd like to ride from Sydney to Brisbane. Tips on best
> places to jump on or off, types of wagons that are the best to ride,
> would be appreciated.
>
> thanks
>
> N_D
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

It is stupid and illegal to ride freight trains and I strongly warn against
it. However, if you are dead set on doing it I would advise the following in
an effort to make it as safe as possible for you.

Don't try to board a moving train, get on when its stopped

Boxcars may look inviting if the door is open but be aware that once you are
inside the door may close and you will be trapped.

An empty open wagon is probably the safest wagon to ride in, do not get in a
open wagon that has a load in it. (the load could shift and crush you)

The end area of a covered hopper is pretty safe but stay away from all brake
equipment, it can move and perhaps crush you or a part of you.

Bottom line, don't do it but if you must please follow my guidelines, at
least that way you might have a 10% chance of not getting killed or losing a
limb.

Mark