Re: [Melb] Safety fears block tram's return

This news is a little old, it's from the Yarra Trams bulletin Board.

Yarra Trams Update

W Class trams' return delayed

Yarra Trams 23 W Class trams will only return back into service on the City
Circle and route 12 after approval by the Government's General Manager
Safety and Technical Services despite successfully passing all tests
yesterday.

After a W Class tram was "taken out of service" on Wednesday with a braking
report, the Safety Directorate requested Yarra Trams to temporarily cease
operations of W Class trams while the tram concerned was put through
vigorous testing.

Yarra Trams have conducted several internal and external investigations into
the W Class braking system over the past six months. All tests indicated no
faults with the current braking system.

"Although no faults were again found yesterday after simulating different
braking scenarios, the Safety Directorate has asked us to postpone the
return of W Class trams until further investigations are conducted." said
Yarra Trams spokesperson Paul Matthews.

These further investigations are expected to focus on modifications made to
W Class trams five to six years ago by the PTC.

Mm235.2430$c5.6938@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:Mm235.2430$c5.6938@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...