Re: ATN in Junee

In article <v0J15.20796$c5.35060@newsfeeds.bigpond.com> "deano" <dsma@pigpond.com> writes:
>From: "deano" <dsma@pigpond.com>
>Subject: Re: ATN in Junee
>Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:29:22 +1000

>The shuffled out of Junee at about 0800 today. The L class sure do have a
>grunty sound
>at idle. They have a classic V8 sound but I don't know if that's what they
>have in them.
>Nice looking assembly though.

If they still have their original engines they are a V16 model EMD 645E3
turbocharged ,driving a AR10 alternator into 6 X D77 traction motors.
The L class was the first loco in Australia to utilize the above engine.
Model No GT26 C.
Introduced October 1967.
Who says that old locos arnt any good.

Originally there were 25 of them Nos 251 to 275.
Interestingly also Comalco at Weipa also had 2 of the same type .
Back in the early 1970s Vline hired at least one for use on the NE SG.
MD