Re: [SA] Visiting Adelaide

James C <jamesccj@optusnet.com.au> said:

>I'm off to Adelaide in early July, and will give Barossa Valley Blue
>bird railcar a try.
>
>Apart from  Port Dock railway Museum what else can Adelaide offer a
>railfan???? and which suburban line(s) worth giving a try out? as I
>heard of both Belair line and Noarlunga line are very scenic.

If you have a car, and a day, go for a drive to Port Augusta. Stop off at a
few of the towns like Crystal Brook and Port Pirie. A lot out there is a
sad sight of what a government can do to a railway, but worth a visit
anyway. A lot of the railway runs along the highway, so if any trains are
running you will see them. It's not uncommon to see double-stack trains out
here either.

At Port Pirie, there is a depot (National Rail? ASR? Goninan?) where you
will find a lot of derelict rollingstock outside. Fairly visible from the
areas you are allowed ("street"). Port Pirie also sports the replica GM22
at the station with a couple of old CR[1] livery carriages. There is a
tourist centre at the start of the platform. You will also find trains
being run to the port, last time it was a lone 830 that I saw.

Port Augusta is a little more exciting. If you drive along a track that
runs along the fence of Clyde also along the foreshore, you will see a lot
of locomotive stock here and there, many derelict 930's and DA3 ("raw
banana") might still be there on a flattop wagon. National Rail also have a
facility there, and you might get to look around by asking permission off
someone there - YMMV.

In Adelaide itself, you can do the whole railway system in under a day, on
a $5.40 ticket (wonder if the Grossly Stupid Tax affects this). I regret
not riding on any Jumbos when I was there, the whole time it was 3000/3100
series railcars. The Barossa Valley Bluebird came in when I was coming back
on a suburban railcar at one point. The Belair line is certainly an
interesting line, but standardisation through the hills has killed this
once-good railway line. Be prepared to wait about 5 mins for a cross at
some of the crossing loops.

Also in Adelaide, pay a visit to Dry Creek, once again, to see a lot of
stuff there, you'll need to request permission to do so, although a bit can
be seen from the carpark.

HTH

Michael