Re: Glenbrook accident in The Age

In article <8hkc9e$2sa$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  facetious@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <8hjsq1$jc0$1@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>,
>   "Stuart Thyer" <s.thyer@anatomy.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> > http://www.theage.com.au/news/20000607/A42384-2000Jun6.html
> >
> > A query. Just what is metronet that is mentioned in the report??
>
> It is a system that's no better than what they already had.  The
report
> says that the accident may not have happened if the driver of the
urban
> had been able to talk to the driver of the IP.   MetroNet will NOT
solve
> the problem - drivers of trains will still not be able to talk to each
> other.  MetroNet doesn't work anyway.  I want to see figures on
> complaints for not working.  Many trains will not change area numbers.
> Many trains will not register.  Certain locations are dead spots - ie
> Lakemba - Campsie.  PABX calls can't be made on the Bankstown line.
> Calling RSOM (Radio Systems Operations Manager) puts you through to a
> cranky old cunt at Defects who tells you to fuck off.  The system is
not
>  wonderful as Mr Johnson suggests.  It is a joke.  The best system
would
> be a 450.050 radio in every train - no handheld radios cause they
never
> get carried or turned on.  These people should go for a ride on a real
> train and see what really goes on.
>
>  I beg to differ.  The metronet radio does have advantages that the
450 Mhz never had.  Sure metronet ain't perfect,  but signal boxes such
as Sydney could never get coverage with 450Mhz to outer area's of
control or in tunnels etc.  Metronet provides a secure line in which to
exchange one on one info from the signal box to the Driver and vice
versa. All calls are logged and can also be used for safeworking
purposes.  It also has the ability to broadcast instructions to drivers
in the vicinity of a particular area of control and can perform a group
call which is similar to the open channel 450Mhz without the distance
problems.  I must say that if a driver fails to log in his/her correct
run number then that can cause delays in contacting them.  Then there
are the drivers that fail to log in anything at all.  That is when
Metronet is almost good for nothing. My rating out of 100 would be 70.
In my opinion an asset that can be improved.  Pitfalls are the
inability to talk to other drivers.  If the Signaller or Driver
initiates an emergency call then all trains in that vicinity will get
that warning message.
--
Mr3801
These comments are made in a private capacity

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.