Re: Airport Line Lack of Patronage? (NSW, the only state to have one open in Australia at the moment)

Eric Cartman <erkV69@erk.au.com> wrote in message
3936eb40@news.iprimus.com.au">news:3936eb40@news.iprimus.com.au...
> I have a serious question for you all.
>
> We have heard (and seen in some cases) about a lack of patronage for the
> Airport line stations compared to expectations.
>
> What do you think is causing this and what can be done to improve it?
>
> --
> Eric

There are quite a few factors in this.  Some of which I am aware from the
local press and my brother's recent experience on the line:

1.  It costs more than the airport bus to use the link
2.  There is virtually no publicity at the airport that the line has opened
for arriving passengers
3.  The lack of baggage facilities on trains
4.  Overcrowding of trains, particularly those running to/from Campbelltown
in peak periods
5.  Trains do not run direct to Kings Cross area, where much of Sydney's
backpacker type accommodation is located, whereas buses run direct
6.   For two people (people often travel in pairs), it doesn't cost much
more to get a taxi direct from hotel to the airport terminal, avoiding
waiting times and lugging bags etc
7.  CityRail's present unreliable timekeeping is becoming legendary - if
you've got a flight to catch the plane won't wait
8.  Security (or lack thereof) on trains/platforms at night
9.  Restrictive ticket machines - what about the guy who tried to use a ten
dollar note for a nine dollar fare - the
 machine told him he needed to use the exact fare.  He obtained change from
a bystander, then it couldn't cope with the number of coins fed in.  Unable
to pay his fare he gave up and caught a taxi.

Regards

David Bennetts
Canberra