Re: X45...

I can talk with some authority on this one - he was my father's cousin.   There
was a great photograph on him in Newsrail some years ago when as a more junior
railway employee he was given the job of riding on the front buffer-beam of a
steam locomotive travelling at speed to make measurements of the performance of
the loco - I think it may have been the S class pre-streamlining.  Now there's
something you couldn't get away with in today's protective OH&S environment.  I
presume from this that he came up through the ranks from the locomotive
engineering area of VR.

I believe he died about four or five years ago well into his nineties.

Chris Brownbill.