Re: Cane: Tramways or Railways?

> From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 01:20:55 GMT
> Subject: Re: Cane: Tramways or Railways?
>
> The legal difference between a railway and a tramway was he amount of land
> the owner was required to maintain. A tramway only had to maintain the
> land to the edge of the sleepers. A railway had to maintain (I think) 12
> feet wither side or to the fenceline, whichever was closer.

Of all of the "definitions" of the difference between a railway and a
tramway this is another "official defintion" to add to the collection. The
definitions obviously varied from state to state otherwise we would have had
the Hamersly Iron tramway!

I don't think the above definition is in any way correct. If it was it would
mean VR had to maintain the entire main street of Wycheproof.
Someone needs to research this subject so we get an "official" definition
and end all of this conjecture.

Mark