Re: [VIC/NSW] Dreamtime1 - Countrylink Competition

In article <8m04o0$9gk$1@nnrp1.deja.com> Michael Walker <wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au> writes:
>From: Michael Walker <wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au>
>Subject: [VIC/NSW] Dreamtime1 - Countrylink Competition
>Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 02:43:12 GMT

>Just a thought whilst sitting in the thinking room...

>The new Vline Passenger railcars currently on order are allegedly
>capable of 160kmh. ie same speed as XPT.

>Lets just assume for a second that it is an easy practice to put
>standard gauge bogies on them (no doubt somebody will give 100 reasons
>why it's difficult/impossible but I hope this thread doesn't degenerate
>too far in that direction).

>What is to stop NEX from attempting to run a Sydney/Melbourne service?
>I know the rail cars are not designed for such a service, but according
>to many people (who I agree with) neither are the XPTs.

>I don't doubt the seats will be just as uncomfortable, although maybe
>NEX have more incentive to make their rollingstock more comfortable
>than a cost cutting government operator.

>The railcars obviously don't have a buffet car, although this could be
>overcome if need be using some sort of trolley arrangement (or in a
>really cheap scenario, preordering McDonalds from Wagga, probably no
>worse than the takeaway style meals from the XPT buffet, and probably
>fresher...8^)  )

>I daresay it would need funding from the NSW government who I doubt
>would take funding away from their precious Countrylink. Presumably why
>those who have suggested a NEX standard gauge train to Albury which can
>be extended to Junee or Wagga will never see it.

>But more interestingly, ignoring the politics, would it be able to keep
>or better the schedule? I would expect a lightweight railcar to be more
>efficient and have a better power/weight ratio, or better acceleration
>than the XPT concept of heavy push pull locos and lightweight
>carriages. Plus it would be more flexible in that you don't have fixed
>consists.

>Any comments?

>--
>Michael Walker
>Email: wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au
>ICQ: 78913383

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Ive often considered that a Melb - Wagga service would make a lot of sense for
NXP if it had SG car sets.
As for running lightweight railcars the existing track access regimes work
against them ,in that you have to pay a premium flag fall for simply running
the train ,irrespective of its gross weight,so its more cost effective to run
long and heavy pass trains .
XPTs being somewhere in the middle.

MD