Re: [NSW] Not enough rolling stock.......

Ian wrote:

> Stupid question maybe.....Why cant't we 'borrow' from
> interstate? Seems a simple solution to me.

Not that simple. All the other states have different rail gauges and
voltages which would not be compatible in NSW (Standard gauge with 1.5kv
DC).

For example:

VIC: Broad gauge rolling stock, but compatible 1.5kv DC
QLD: Narrow gauge rolling stock and 25kv AC
SA: Broad gauge rolling stock
WA: Narrow gauge rolling stock and 25kv AC

The other side to the coin is that there would be no way other operators
would be willing to "lend" carriages at the expense of canceling their
services.

As for the shortage of carriages in NSW, it's the government's own
narrow mindedness that has cause it:

- The previous Liberal government disposed all the remaining loco hauled
carriages, so we can't have loco hauled trains.
- CityRail got rid of the U-boats in 1996 insisting on an all double
deck fleet. They should have kept them as a "reserve" fleet.
- 80 Milliueum Carrages order delayed

Jon Lau