Re: Indian Pacific 's new first class lounge

Chris Drymalik <drymalik@arcom.com.au> wrote in message
3977d53e$1@kastagir.senet.com.au">news:3977d53e$1@kastagir.senet.com.au...
> GSR were doing up the Ghan Oasis Bar. This is most likely this car
renamed.
> As part of the refit they were fitting it with a smoking saloon.
This is a good idea actually on longer distance service, I always saw people
try to smoke in toliet or intercarriage way on long distance trains like XPT
or V/line and WCR service that are completely smoke free. Maybe desinate a
small area in baggage car for smokers (like what GSR did) would be a good
idea.

> If anyone
> can give me any aditional details, road number, classification etc. I
would
> like to know so I can update my web site.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris Drymalik - drymalik@arcom.com.au

I don't know the number unfortunately, also I live in Melbourne, where
Indian Pacific not likely to pass through. But I recalled June edition of
Railway Digest had an information about GSR contracted Bluebird engineer to
converted a baggage car to a lounge car for Indian Pacific first class
passenger due to recent surge in first class passenger. Maybe this is the
lounge car concerning, GSR have far too many baggage cars then necessary
anyway.

I saw BR102(blue bird trailer) before on the first daylight service of
Overland. The carriage still painted with blue streak which might not be
very suitable for Indian Pacific.

One 3/7 I saw a lounge car parked at the siding of platform 1 Keswick
station, there were a few workers working on the carriage adding wooden
panel etc. It looked like Oasis bar but the carriage have no number nor
symbol on it

Cheers
James