Re: [Syd] Parramatta - Castle Hill / Baulkham Hills

The line to Castle Hill opened in January 1923 as a combination of new
railway and converted tramway to railway standard. It branched off the main
line just after Westmead and went cross country to Northmead near the now
corner of Cumberland Highway and Windsor Road. From Northmead to just
before Castle Hill (corner of Terminus St and Old Northern Rd - the tram
terminus from 1910 to 1923) it ran on the tram line that was corverted to a
railway line. It ran along Windsor and Old Northern Rds with the exception
of short off road sections at Model Farms (Northmead) and Baulkham Hills.

Castle Hill to Rogans Hill was opened as an off-road section in November
1924. Sidings were provided at Model Farms, Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and
Rogans Hill. Baulkham Hills became a crossing loop with island platform
with the line extension to Rogans Hill.

The original staff section was Westmead to Castle Hill with the line
opening, and became Westmead to Baulkham Hills/Baulkham Hills to Rogans
Hill in 1924.

The line closed in January 1932 and all rails were removed a couple of
years later. The on-road reservation got absorbed by road widening. Castle
Hill, Baulkham Hills, and Model Farms became parks. The site of Rogans Hill
has flats built on it. The sandstone pylon in the of Toongabbie Ck for the
bridge that crossed this watercourse still exists (from the Cumberland Hwy
heading towards Liverpool, turn left down Redbank Rd, Northmead down to the
road bridge then look up the creek!).

Glenn

--
Glenn Jackson-Bethell