Re: [NSW] Fast Electric Parcel Vans.

" Ian" <iansmith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Are they still in use?

Not as parcel vans.  That traffic ceased a long time ago now and went
to road transport.  Some stations had special parcels depot building,
such as Chatswood and Granville (which also had separate wired parcels
dock road).

> Did they carry passengers?

No, though the was one "mixed train" of two passenger cars and a
parcel van that used to run in from the Penrith (I think) very early
in the morning during the '60s.

There have also been a few parcel van tours run by railfan
organisations over the years.

> Were they only in use in the Sydney Metro area?

They were all wide electric stock, so that limited their area of
operation to the wide loading gauge lines.

> I believe that they were at their peak in the ' Red Rattler 'era.

A few were purpose built as parcel vans at the start of
electrification and others were converted from single deck wood and
steel body passenger cars as the need arose.

> Did they have any priority over passenger trains and /or work to time
> tables?

Their runs were shown in the working timetable, but as far as I know
didn't have any priority.

Cheers,

Bill