End of electric non passenger traction in Aus

Are we seeing the end of electric traction for freight in Aus.

Victoria's is long dead and most likely never to be recovered.

NSW is close to dead, with most of the 60 electrics heading for storage out west, which will therefore eventually be scrapped. Only a token effort over the mountains continues, maybe only due to a lack of available modern diesels.

Freightcorps entry in Qld on the CQ coal network is with diesel on the already electrified system. And at 25kv a more efficent one than NSW and Vic had. This is the same as what happend with NR in NSW. Eventually there is not enough electric freight to justify maintaining the overhead and diesels are brought in.

As QR has more and more competion from others, they will bring in their refurbished or new diesels. Their excuse will be, "... we are not big enough to jusify having two types of traction in our fleets." Eventually QR will order new 4000 class for all its coalies and the dog bones for the north coast freight.

This could take less than the 5-10 years and the electric locos will be like the 86 class, retired before their use by date is up and ½ billion dollars worth of overhead infrastructure is left to collect dust and eventually be scrapped. Just like what happened in the US.

Shane