Re: Wellington NZ

Well if the trolley infrastructure in Wellington looks tired it is not
suprising.

While there is support within Wellington Regional Council (WCC) to retain
the
trolleys their long-term future is still in the balance. Retailers and
residents were
surveyed and a $ value put on the value they put on the trolley buses
(reduced noise
and city retailer impacts over diesels). This was enough to secure a 5-year
contract
which extends trolley operation till about 2004.

This 5-year horizon is however not enough to make any real commitment to
overhead upgrading etc. I suspect the replacement of switches with older
style
switches is purely due to newer style switches being replaced as they wear
out with
older ones kept as spares. Spare parts are I understand becoming a real
issue for the
system.

In fact talking to a consultant doing some work for WRC the other week,
apparently
there is only one person left in Wellington who knows how to maintain the
overhead
and he is planning on retiring soon.

Consultancy work is underway to look at what the overall trend is with
trolley bus
systems world wide to help determine the future of the Wellington system.

The bus interchange at the railway station is to be modernised and decisions
need to
be made on whether the trolleys are kept as this affects the layout of the
interchange.
Also restringing overhead in the interchange adds a few hundred thousand $
to the
project cost.

Certain quarters are pushing to replace the trolley buses with modern low
floor buses
using either diesel or electric hybrid buses. The trolleys are unfortunately
now some of
the oldest buses and all high floor buses. New low floor diesels being put
in service
on many of the other city routes.

To be fair WRC have left some really shocking old diesels in service which
keep the
trolleys from looking too bad, and makes them look better than they do
compared
with the modern low floor buses.

The only certainty is that the existing fleet cant be strung along for
another 5 years
after 2004. The existing is fast approaching use by date with passengers now

expecting modern accessible vehicles. A serious commitment has to be made
before
2004 to either scrapping or replacement with modern low floor trolleys.
Trolley
buses are a 20 year commitment and in NZ where transport planning has
suffered
from short termism is a real issue.

Having said that I suspect they stand a good chance of being continued with
the
current administration in Wellington. They make all the right noises about
scrapping
them in favour of low floor diesels, and then at the last minute produce the
study
which shows "lo and behold" that it is more cost effective (total social and
economic
costs) or community acceptable etc. to keep them.

Alex...