Re: [NSW] 4908 on Long Lunch Train

Is that a train with a dining car service?  If so, what's it cost and
how often does it run? I'm in Sydney later this year, might give it a
try.  If it's done well, with good company lunch on a train is a great
way to spend a day.  I believe the West Coast people do it too out of
Melbourne (?) Are there any other trains in Australia with dining car
that are accessible to day-trippers and/or get you back to your
starting point?

I recently had a yummy 3 course lunch with drinks and Aussie wine
(Nottage Hill) for about 40 pounds a head (comparable to a moderate
London restaurant, but much better scenery!) on a lazy summer Monday
from Edinburgh to London.  On an economy saver ticket, at no extra
charge you can travel in the 1st class diner if you buy lunch, works
out much cheaper than a first class ticket (plus you get a nice lunch),
but you are gambling that there will be room (not usually a big risk
though).  First class passengers still have to pay the extra for lunch.

James

In article <9vCa5.9831$c5.26915@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,
  <glillic@msn.com.au> wrote:
> It is expected that 4908 in its new 3801 Limited colour scheme will
haul the
> Long Lunch Train to Newcastle tomorrow 12/7.
> Thursday should see the same unit on the South Coast Daylight service
> Berry on Thursday.
>
> Geoff Lillico
> 3801 Limited
> trains@magna.com.au