[VIC] Derelict steam loco at Ballarat

In 1994, I stayed with friends in Ballarat.  I went for a walk along
the railway line, past the sidings where a Melbourne Hitachi set was
stabled (that was a surprise!), past an abandoned signal box (but you
could still climb up into it and pull the levers), across a road
crossing, past a grain shed with rail tractor parked outside, then a
little further long, discovered a derelict steam loco parked on a
siding.  Can't have been more than a half a kilometre on the Adelaide
side of Ballarat station.  IIRC, it was minus its tender, and many key
fittings, but I think it had 3 driving axles.  Can't recall the
colour.  Is it still there?  What class/number was it?  Who owns the
poor beast?  I was amazed that in the mid 1990s you could still find
old locos like that just "lying around".

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.