Re: Light rail gradients (and my fantasy Wollongong light rail system)

Bradley it is the same old reason, if a good public transport system is
provided people will use it, if the public transport is poor and bus based
then use of a private car becomes attractive. There are plenty of examples
where a new Light Rail system has gotten drivers out of the private car and
eased road use.

What about considering the use of dual voltage trams and use all or part of
the main line from say Thirroul south to near Port Kembla then a new route
to Sheelharbour?  Use of dual voltage vehicles is working very well in
Germany.

Ted
"Bradley Torr" <btorr@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message
39674c88@pink.one.net.au">news:39674c88@pink.one.net.au...

> Barry Campbell wrote in message ...
>
> >Wollongong is a good demonstration of the trend that has been in
existence
> >for about the last 80 years. Public transport has become less and less
> >relevant in bigger and bigger communities because car travel has become
> >easier.
>
> I think this has much to do with the fact that the vast bulk of
Wollongong's