Re: off to Tocumal [NSW/Vic]

noemail@emailsux.com (James C) wrote in
<39617052$0$16993$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

>I'm going off to Tocumal on Thursday, how often does FA operate freight
>train to Tocumal? and is it still possible to see the SG/BG exchange
>station at Tocumal?
>
>What other intresting things are there in Tocumal for a rail fan?

This is probably a bit late now, being Friday, but for the benefit of
anyone else who's heading that way... At the moment there are two trains
running to Tocumwal per day. The first one departs Tocumwal around 1200ish
from memory, and both trains cross at Shepparton.

The chase from Tocumwal is pretty easy (with the added benefit that the
train had to stop during the week, because of faulty [read, someone hit it
at high speed in a car/truck] level crossing equipment [HXP1, where are
you?]). Easy chase meaning, stick to the speed limit and you can easily
beat the train anywhere. Start the chase by parking on the access track on
the north bank of the Murray (facing toward the line, for easy exit), photo
train on bridge, take off, meet the train at the level crossing where the
Cobram line meets (Midland Highway??), then parallel the train down the
line til it joins up along the Shepparton-Tocumwal road (can't remember
what it's called). You can get a few photo stops in there. There are also
some nice S bends and bridges along the line from Shepp, so look out for
them while driving toward Tocumwal.

HTH

Michael

--
     Email: michael {DOT} kurkowski {AT} gunzel {DOT} net
          (Any mail sent to usenet.spam@gunzel.net

                Tolulene, you know what I mean.