Re: [SA]-[VIC] 2000 class railcars

The major problem with the 2000 class is that they were a design based on
the Prospector car. This means that they are great on long hauls. Run well,
good ride etc., but suffer badly on the short haul suburban service that SA
has. They have a slower excelleration that the 3000.

A driver I talked too who took the a power and trailer to Ballratt for
repair told me that it was the best run he had ever done in them. He said
that they ran beautifully on the level track between Tailem Bend and
Bordertown. All reports I have heard suggest that they would have made a
great Bluebird replacement, but were too heavy for short haul stop-start
work. If Stony Pt is an express service, fairly long haul, then I sspect
they will do well. It's also nice to rid in a rail car were to can sit up
the front an see what's going on (unlike Melbourne who seem to think that
good use of space is not importance - Why have the drivers area take up the
full width of the car?)

--
Cheers

Chris Drymalik - drymalik@arcom.com.au