Re: [VIC] New Log Train?

----------
In article <3962BCE7.A03A1BE0@alphalink.com.au>, Reece Isaac
<throttle@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

>G'day Rod,
>Rod Young wrote:
>
>> Coal Siding at Wodonga has been inspected (again) and the guy measuring the
>> width of the hardstand told me that he was making sure that the B Doubles
>> had room to manoeuvre. He said they did, and Logs would be running out of
>> Wodonga in July, and indefinitely. Said something about being 5 years behind
>> in Exports????
>>

>How does thousands of tonnes of ash  around the back of Mt. Beauty sound Rod.
>It's not that far from Wodonga by road.  Definitely looks like logs are to
>become the main stay of this railway, move over grain and export containers!
>Reece

There is a very active timber industry in the Tumut/Batlow/TUmbarumba area
too. While I suspect much of the timber would go over the Brindabella ranges
to get loaded at Hume, anything around Batlow could possibly be better off
going to Wodonga, roads are straighter and possibly shorter.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne