Re: [VIC] Diesel "Y" #1567

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 08:29:02 +1000, "Stuart Thyer"
<s.thyer@anatomy.unimelb.edu.au> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>I don't get it Rod, the fuel tank on a Y is directly in front of the cab, so
>why does it need shifting?  Unless of course they remotor the locos and need
>more body length. Is this what is likely?

Most locomotives seem to have the fuel tank between the bogies, I
assume for better stability and centre of gravity, not to mention a
more even distribution of weight across the two bogies.

The RTS J seemed to me the sort of loco the Y should have been but for
the desire of the VR to recycle the bogies that ended up under our Ys
- their length meant that the fuel tank had to be moved which (IIRC)
meant a different electrical setup and the air tanks having to be
moved into the fuel tank's place.