Re: Arthur Mee's book.

I assume youre referring to Paul Mees, unless there is another person
with the same surname who has written a book on which it says he was
sued by city link.

Basically Paul had some involvement in two legal cases against the city
link project. ONe of them is still sub judice and so I won't talk about
that one (at least, not in public).

The one that involved Paul being sued though was the Phil Morey case. A
short history of it follows (its pretty much all been in newspapers and
so on so theres nothing sensational about it):
* Transurban published a prospectus and, not to put too fine a point on
it, published things in it that were (said to be) not true in relation
to light commercial vehicles (and the definition thereof - its not
particularly interesting but was said to have had the effect of
artificially inflating the traffic figures)

* Mr Morey decided to take action against TU under s.52 of the trade
practices act because, he said, they had engaged in misleading and
deceptive conduct by publishing things in their prospectus that were
not true.

* Paul provided Phil Morey with some advice and helped him get legal
representation for the case. The PTUA also made a modest financial
contribution to assist him.

* At one stage Phil did manage to delay TU's listing on the stock
exchange

* At another stage in the proceedings Phil lost the case and Transurban
then argued that he was "a man of straw" and clearly unable to pay
their costs. They then sought costs against the PTUA, and/or against
Paul Mees personally. The application for costs against the PTUA I know
was thrown out pretty much on the spot.

* There were appeals and retrials and ultimately the case was settled.
The settlement was confidential so I don't know the details, but it was
probably something along the lines of Transurban paying all Phil's
legal costs if he will go away and leave them alone.

The other case is Peter Allan's challenge to the (said to be) illegal
federal tax concessions recieved by Transurban. That one is in the High
Court at the moment.

Vaughan

In article <2hrqlssr0ekvrk067ittr1ui8e8k8a5bm6@4ax.com>,
  Douglas CLIFFORD <cliffd@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> THere is a statement on the back cover of this book that Mee's was
> sued by Citylink.  What was this all about?  Or is it "sub judice"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.