Re: James C on the roof MEL- ADL Was - Sightings of aus.rail'ers

mauried@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

> There are 3 major tunnels.
> Sleeps hill tunnel between Lynton and Eden Hills ,this is a double track
> tunnel with both BG and SG.
> National Park and Long Gully tunnels.
> These are both between Belair and Mt Lofty loop.
> Single track SG only.
> All these tunnels are quite long and would be expensive to modify for
> double stacking purposes,if that was the intent.

True Maurie, that was the reason why AN was looking at
bypassing the Adelaide Hills many years ago.
Arrrrrg .....shrieks from the SA lurkers.

The various SA Governments after the Dunstan Government
who sold the SAR to the Feds and actually believed that
trains would run forever over SAR tracks propped up by
the Commonwealth.  ..........It did not happen.

Of course, said SA Governments DID NOTHING to support
rail, in fact they, Labor and Liberal did everything to
support road and made no effort what so ever to support
rail.  Did they ever make a contribution to keep "dead
loss" broad gauge branch lines open.? .....no chance.!

In fact, they helped in the formation of NRC which
killed AN and thousands of SA jobs.!  The CR/ANR/AN was
as much a part of South Australia up there in Port
Pirie and Port Augusta as the South Australian Railways
was down in Adelaide, but they, Labor & Liberal sold
the lot away.

Am I cynical.?  You bet I am, but then I have not been
a Croweater for some 40 years.

----Tell
Alice Springs
<< Remove 01 for email reply >>