Re: [VIC] Steamrail headboard - possibilities

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:51:09 +1000, James Brook
<ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>It isn't the same thing. R711 is in a corporate livery for a commercial
>operation. R761 is supposed to be a preserved loco in the VR livery. You
>can't really compare the two operations because they are completely
>different apart from the fact they are running a steam loco. The
>Steamrail headboard wrecks what would otherwise be an R class in the VR
>livery. Preservation shouldn't be about creating your own fantasy
>interpretation of the past. I wouldn't have a problem with the headboard
>if they removed it at photostops and on special occasions like the
>parallel run.

Well, that's not quite true.

Preserved K 190 was painted green, R 766 was painted maroon yet all
were painted black in VR days. Shall I mention PBPS and its  Thomas
The Tank engine wannabes? How about S313 in Santa Fe?

Whilst I believe R-711 is not a truly preserved loco, it is a heritage
one and it is marketed as such. Puffing Billy has also realised that
you can't cater just for railfans and publicity is vitally important
in any commercial enterprise, no matter what guage it happens to be.

The problem as I see it is that when some fans get glassy-eyed and
dream of re-opening the Mansfield line lines to run livestock trains,
(L & M 4-wheelers, Z-van and D3?) they are living in 40 years too late
and are lacking the real world situation we live in were getting bums
on seats is a commercial business, be it WCR, PBPS, ARHS or any other
group. Getting upset at a mere removable headboard on a loco is not
worth it in the overall scheme of things.

It should also be pointed out that all steam locos less than 60 years
old have spent more time in preservation service than in VR's.  The
R's especially which probably spent more time rusting than running.

There is no real commerical/preservation difference when running
trains. It all boils down to the hard act of getting fare-paying bums
on seats. It makes no difference if you are PBPS or NatExpress, the
end justifies the means.

Les Brown
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose.