Re: Conductors on buses - good idea?

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> For a start, trams are (mostly) bigger than buses and certainly carry a
> lot more passengers. People get on through several different doors
> rather than all at the front. If the driver was doing tickets for all
> those people thr tram would hardly move and there would be a long queue
> at the front door - we've seen it during the aborted Kennett attempts
> to introduce driver-only trams.

Umm, Melbourne's trams got rid of their conductors a couple of years
ago. Drivers no longer sell tickets (which they did on some lines that
got rid of conductors off-peak). Passengers are meant to validate
pre-purchased tickets in a machine. Of course, many don't, so the trams
are free now!

When the modern trams had a conductor's desk, everyone had to board by
the front door anyway, causing huge delays especially at city stops in
peak periods.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand