Re: Goodbye Overland

> If Newport to Ararat were built to 115 km/h standards with CTC as it
should
> have been then its faster than via Ballarat but again ,all these
factors are
> totally beyond the control of the pass train owners
> >Crossing loops were removed and (in SA) intermediate follow-on
signals were
> >removed, giving longer sections and reducing the opportunity to
>overtake.
Actually I notice the train takes for ever to travel between Laverton
and Spencer Street the train is as slow as a bike, North Shore to
Spencer Street takes 1 hour and 15 minutesm V/line's stopping service
can easily do less then that (taking account of longer route via
Tottenham yard).
The train can easily do within 10 hours if this section upgraded.

> Fair enough, GSRs fares are high,no doubt about it , but they need to
be .
> Running trains these days is an expensive business.
Especially there are so many competitor on this route including a rail
competitor: V/line whose Daylink(recieve subsidies from Vic government)
still very popular with most of the traveller.

> In GSRs case ,and indeed in the case of other private operators there
are lots
> of expenses which dont exist for rails competitors,like air and bus.
You might notice Overland is the "CHEAPEST" GSR service of all, even
with 1st class sleeper still 50$ cheaper then flying economic class.
also recently launched 30$ supersaver cheaper then any other transport
mode.

Fare aren't the major conern, Ghan and Indian Pacific's fare are more
expansier then flying, but GSR have no trouble to fill up these 2
trains.

Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/