Re: Airport line

David Bennetts wrote:

> David McLoughlin <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote in message

> > Which airport line? The one in Sydney? The one in Brisbane? Or somewhere
> > else again altogether.
> >

> Since the Brisbane one's not due to start till May 2001, I'd suggest it's
> probably Sydney.  I understand Sydney is due to start in May this year, so
> it makes sense to start testing and training soon.

My point, which may not have been clear as I was trying to be subtle,
was that neither the header nor the post made any reference to which
airport, state or even country being referred to (though one assumed he
meant somewhere in Australia given this is the aus.rail group).

> I'm coming across your way soon, any chance the Auckland airport rail link
> will be open in April?

You're kidding, right?  In case you're not, there is not even a remote
proposal for a rail line to Auckland Airport. The two excuses for train
lines Auckland has run largely through industrial wastelands and are
operated by decades-old diesel railcars acquired second-hand from Perth
when Perth electrified its railways years ago.

There aren't even proposals for electric trains here, let alone a line
to the airport which is nowhere near the railway lines we do have.

However if you go to Wellington instead (a much nicer city) you can
catch the No 11 Seatoun trolleybus from just outside the airport, and
Wellington also has real trains (EMUs) though they don't go near the
airport. I always take the trolleybus to and from the airport when I'm
in Wellington and since Stagecoach took over about 1992, they run seven
days a week, 6am to midnight rather than from 6am - 6pm Mon-Fri only
which was how the anti-trolley council transport department underused
them.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand