Re: NSW CityRail upgrading query

Paul Jones wrote in message ...
>I think it was 25-30 mins longer. the tranis go past enfield yard and then
>join onto the bankstown line somewhere. it is quite interresting.
>Anita Lukaszyk wrote in message
>> For the Western/Blue Mountains Line it says services will be diverted via
>> the freight lines. Does anyone know which lines? I know of lines at
>Enfield,

"Western Lines
"Sunday 13 February
"Trains will operate to an amended timetable and run between Lidcombe and
Central via the Freight Lines."

The last time I travelled on a similar diversion (Jan. 1998), the precise
route for trains from the west was Lidcombe (Main Line) - Flemington Goods
Jcts - Chullora Jcts - Enfield - Campsie (Goods Line) - Meeks Road North
Jct - X Bankstown Line - Sydenham - X Illawarra Local - Flying Jcts - X
Suburban.  (I wondered at the time whether Tulloch trailers are "in gauge"
on the Up Goods from Campsie to Sydenham.) Trains to the west ran on the
down Bankstown line to Campsie as the Down Goods from Meeks Road North to
Meeks Road West was not electrified.  The journey took about twelve minutes
longer than usual.

North Inter-city trains terminated at Eveleigh. Surplus North Shore trains
terminated on the Illawarra Line at Illawarra Junction.  No trains
terminated on the Local Line at Illawarra Junction as it was inside the
posession.

Further complications, not apparently in the current plan, were West
Inter-city trains to Circular Quay and a greatly reduced City Circle service
as the Lidcombe - Quay trains weren't running East of Ashfield.

The public information at the time indicated that passengers for Liverpool
should catch the all-stations bus from Central to Strathfield (this was
before the present admirable poster campaign!).  Town Hall sent passengers
for Liverpool on the slow train via Bankstown.

There have been some track changes in the past two years.  The Goods Line
from Meeks Road North to Meeks Road West has been singled so it *might* be
used by suburbans in both directions. I don't know where the Up Main is in
Enfield Yard these days.

Passenger diversions to the Goods Line passing under the Main at Lewisham
are probably a thing of the past since the line terminates at Rozelle.
During the Sydney resignalling in 1979, diesel-hauled Wollongong / Nowra
trains actually ran Meeks Road - Wardell Road - Balmain Road - Darling
Harbour - Sydney for one weekend.  I think that was the first and last
passenger diversion to this line.

Rgds

Bill