Re: Countrylink - Canberra - Sydney

IB98 (ib98@aol.com) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> I'm thinking about taking a countrylink train CBR-SYD and fly home later in the
> day. How good are these trains?? What is the comfort level if I buy a 1st class
> ticket?? Also do they usually run on time or are they often late??

I've done the trip about a dozen times in the last 18 months. The only
severe (over 10 minutes) late running I've experienced was one Saturday on
the 6.50 up when we were diverted via East Hills.

Buffet is sufficient for a 4 hour trip. First class has more legroom and
the seats tilt back more, but for 4 hours the difference isn't critical.
First class was definately necessary on the former overnight service to
Armidale!

The lunchtime train is probably the best option if you're not pressed for
time. Saves an early start, is usually not as crowded and you get to see
the whole route in daylight.

Cheers
David