Re: Brisbane Shunters

Malcolm Cleary <mush@es.co.nz> wrote in message
ug638skvplbufu1q3pefaoqj0f9hi5q3v6@4ax.com">news:ug638skvplbufu1q3pefaoqj0f9hi5q3v6@4ax.com...
> Hi People,
> Anyone here work in Brisbane as a shunter? Was wondering if QR
> was hiring staff & what sort of wages they get......basicly am looking
> for a reason for a change of scenery from my current job...

Like most railway professions, shunters are an "endangered species". In
fact, they really don't exist any more. Not in the true sense of the
classification, anyway. How it works now is shunters, numbertakers,
examiners and (the few remaining) signallers have all been eliminated.

The "Rail Operator" is the new term for the employee who shunts the train
(shunter), in some cases operates shunt signals (signaller), compiles the
train list (numbertaker) then tests the train (examiner). All done by the
one person.

Zone Release Shunting gives the Rail Operator control of the local
signalling system from his hand held radio set. No need for a Signaller.
Existing Signallers have been reclassified Rail Operator Class 4 and will
remain in the signal boxes until retired etc. Once they have left, Rail
Operators will operate the signal box and perform yard duties on a
rotational basis.

In Brisbane there are no more shunters in local yards. They are all based at
Mayne Car Shed, Acacia Ridge, Fisherman Island or Redbank. When any other
yard is to be shunted, Rail Operators are sent by car to the required yard.

To the best of my knowledge, QR has never employed Rail Operators "off the
street".

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, QLD

NOTICE - The above text is copyright. It may not be reproduced in whole or
in part without prior permission from the author. Text included in a USENET
response to this post is excluded.