Axle Counters: wasRe: Independent Review of Rail Safety Arrangements in Australia

Dave Proctor wrote:

> Why does it have to be track-circuited? Surely a better (better only because
> it is cheaper and therefore stands a better chance of getting up) would be
> CTC via axle counters? It works successfully on the cross-country line from
> Unanderra to Moss Vale, as well as other places around the country, and
> would signifigantly reduce the implementation cost.

> Dave

A question re axle counters for protecting track sections.
Assuming that axle counters are used at stations rather than just
between auto signals,
how does the system cope with shunting moves? I would assume that the
axle counter
would count each axle passing over it regardless of direction.
Therefore, it would
get very mixed up if a reverse direction move took place. Is this the
case?

John McCallum