Re: [NSW] New gadget seen at Town Hall

It isn't a new thing at all - it was installed arond 1995-96 from memory. It
is a Transcard reader as fitted to Westbus buses in Sydney's west. It was a
trial for a smart card based system for fare collection which was designed
so people from the St Marys area would by the smart card on the bus and on
the train into the city. The smart card in the trial would have the same
conditions as a Brown Metropass (later renamed Bus Plus). If I remember
correctly, the readers were placed at Wynyard and Town Hall next to the wide
gate and people with the ticket would present their card to the reader and
the light would indicate if the card was ok.

For various reasons, the system was not extended in CityRail. It is however
used on Westbus services in Sydney's west and maybe other companies. I am
presuming the readers at Town Hall are not operational, they are next to the
old barrier locations.

Hope this helps

--
Eric