Re: Straight from the Horse's Mouth

Richard wrote in message <38A24C7F.7DDFE0EA@primus.com.au>...
>If anyone doubts the origin, ring him!!
>If I was CEO I wouldnt plaster my email address everywhere...would you!!
>So company "X" goes into a situation thinking for all the world that
situation
>"Y" is in play..only to find its not quite the case once IT is able to see
>things first hand!!

That is why companies undergo a "due diligence" process - so they can go in,
examine the books, all aspects of the operation - BEFORE they take over.

>as opposed to anyone elses second hand info....and all
>sourced info even good ,is second hand...they now have fingers on pulse.

As they would have done from the very beginning if they had conducted due
diligence (and I am not saying that they haven't).

>ALso hasnt there been a slight change in owneship of GSR!! (not
sure...welcome
>clarification)
>All transport markets ..passenger or freight can no longer exist as common
>carriers, they HAVE to target specific wants/niches.....GSR are just
refining
>their business I would imagine...and remember it is only a
business...trains,
>ships, planes....just a medium!!

A business that was built using taxpayers (that's right, yours and mine)
money, and sold at a price that reflected a daily Overland. If the service
was to be reduced to three times a week (this is the much improved Overland
that the politicians promised us, remember) then the costs would be lower
and the price would have been higher.

>Personally Im surprised the Overland runs at all, and I like the train!!
used
>it often though not in recent times. This train should be geared towards a
>8:00 am arrival at latest.

Won't happen on current track conditions - departure time would be so much
earlier.

>I dont hink they have necessarily exhausted opportunities to pick up a
little
>bit of businees traffic...we dont all want milk runs in the morning out of
>Tulla...stuff early flights...leaving late evening ... sleeping, showering,
>eating...arriving early morning has its benefits.

I have been saying this for years about the Sydney - Melbourne corridor.
When I worked in retail travel, with a large corporate client base, I asked
a few of them whether they would be interested in a train arriving around
0700, full sit down dining car, lounge car, etc - basically, the old
Southern Aurora, but updated and better times. Most said they would (based
on getting out of bed at 0300 to be at the airport by 0600 for an 0645
flight to be in an 0900 meeting).

Would Melbourne - Adelaide have the market for this sort of service though?

>again maybe someone should ring the guy  if its a dillema...I cant be
>bothered  :-))))

I am still sceptical because of the fact it came from "Anon" - if ti had
come from someone in the PR department, or a secretary, or even from the
person it was sent to. Byt anonymous posts have little credibility in my
book.

Dave