Re: Freight Victoria Update!

In article <2kJp4.623$A_1.478337@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: Re: Freight Victoria Update!
>Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 01:59:26 GMT

>Freight_man (freight_man@hotmail.com) won a Nobel Prize for literature by
>writing:
>> 4 wheel Flex Coil Bogies ex GP type Locomotives could be fitted to T and Y
>> class Engines.

>Dynamic brakes?

>You also mentioned "alternators" for some locos. Does this mean AC
>traction motors?

Err slight confusion here.
The use of alternators is in no way related to using AC traction motors.
Alternators have been used in Aus locos ever since the Westrail Ls were
introduced back in 1968.
Just about all mainline locos currently in use have alternators.
The exceptions being some of the older  pre 1968 locos although I think
that 42220 and the series 2 Xs have alternators.
Even in an AC DE loco , ie one with AC traction motors we still have an
alternator which has its output rectified to DC by diodes and then the DC is
fed to static invertors ( DC to AC convertors) to drive the AC traction motors.

>> The Y would need considerable modification because of the old GE bogie
>> turntables.
>> The Y could receive GP Fuel Tanks, and 8 cyl Engines Ex T Class.
>>  considerable body mods]

>If quad locos will become regular, it might be an idea to remove the cabs
>entirely from some Ts and Ys and make them slave units.

>> The New X , and Even 2nd Series X, could receive the G Class Power Packs and
>> other bits and pieces as required.

>2000hp 645s for the S class? :)

The 645 E3 series engine (3000 HP) would fit in an X easily,and also in an S.
The Xs have the EMD D77 traction motors (same as the 81s) so would handle the
extra power OK.
Dont know about the traction motors in the S, may have to be replaced.

Have all the 422s now been  sold ?
These could also take the 645 E3 engine.

MD