Re: [Vic] Yarra Trams - "super" stops, park and ride

> YARRA Trams has plans for "super stops" with sheltered platforms,
kiosks,
> ticketing machines and better access for disabled passengers.

Oh please!
How about just providing some better shelter and (if its a safety zone)
a bit more space?
Passengers shouldn't be at stops for more than a few minutes, remember?
And more of those terrible Metcard machines around the streets is the
last thing we need to solve the current ticketing disaster.

> The plan includes a new color scheme and refurbishment for trams in a
move
> to attract more passengers.
> Chief executive officer Steven MacDonald would not reveal the new
color
> scheme yesterday but said the traditional timber finish on the old W-
class
> trams would go.

I happen to know what colour they are being painted, but won't break
YT's confidence by telling you all :)
The PTUA's view (and mine) on this is that painting trams (or trains)
different colours is a bloody stupid idea, because they all should be
the SAME colour so that people can see that regardless of which company
happens to run that service, it is all ONE system.

> "It's going to be a much more modern look," he said.

On the W's?!
I shudder to think. I hope someone's told the National Trust about this.

> Yarra Trams will also begin a trial called "park and ride", which will
> entice passengers to drive to a major stop and then take the tram.

What?
They want to encourage people to drive to the edge of the city and then
take the tram for the last couple of km?

We want to encourage people to use public transport for more of their
travel as well as providing a means to get around for people who can't
or don't want to drive. The last thing we should be doing is allowing
this company to encourage people to drive for most of the trip and then
take a tram the last few k's.

Park and Ride is at best a second-rate solution to the station access
problem (for trains). For trams, I'm afraid I must relegate it to
bloody stupid idea status.

> Mr MacDonald has also raised the possibility of daily tickets being
sold at
> tram stops.

This one has some merit, but why not just reintroduce conductors and
sell them on board?

> Swanston Trams will also launch several initiatives this year to make
its
> service more user friendly.

I wonder what sort of initiatives?

> Its first refurbished tram is scheduled for service early next year

Should be interesting to see it - but I can't help thinking that
priorities are wrong in refurbishing trams (although worthwhile,
compared to painting them different colours)

What they really should be doing is fixing up tram priority to improve
travel time and reliability, improving the evening frequency, and
getting rid of those irritating announcements.

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.