Re: Derailment

David & Julie Donald wrote:

> Does anyone know about an alleged derailment on either Wednesday or Thursday
> night (I think that it was Wednesday night) somewhere west of Lithgow ??
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> David Donald
> Springwood, NSW
>
> dsjmd@hermes.net.au

BB29 a 42 Wagon Coal Train de-railed the second bogie of the 2nd
last truck when the track failed under the train just before the
Farmers creek viaduct at Bowenfells. The crew where unaware of the
problem until they were stopped by the Home Starter signal at
Wallerwang. A track maintenance worker arrived and told them that
they were in the dirt. When they checked the train they found that
the 41 and 42 vehicles had derailed and that the points at Coxs
River (opposite Wallerwang Power Station) where damaged and moved
about 1 metre sideways towards the Up Main.

Both the Up and down mains were closed. After re-railing operations
were completed the up main was re-opened for traffic at about
2200. A light engine was dispatched from Lithgow to bring the damaged
3 Pack coal hoppers back to Lithgow. Trains where worked through the
Wallerwang to Lithgow section using Special Authority Orders until
the track was repaired and the down signals re-comissioned some time
on Thursday.

That's why the XPT was stabled at Bathurst on Wednesday Night.

Pope

Alias	John MacCallum