Re: Whats a 'guard's indicator' (sarcasm warning)?

I can't recall a station platform having a guard's indicator where there is
no signal (automatic or absolute) governing the departure of the train.
Once the guard gives the clear to depart bell the train departs.

Vineyard certainly doesn't have one (or two).  I don't recall Beverly Hills
on the up or Narwee on the down having them (the signals for these tracks
are several hundred metres beyond the end of the station).  Do the up
platforms at Seven Hills have guard's indicators now that the nearest
signals on the up lines are some hundreds of metres beyond the platform.

Any platform from which a train's departure will be prevented by a signal at
danger will have a guard's indicator unless the guard has a clear line of
sight to the departure signal - in which case a guard's indicator is
redundant.

Guard's indicators are also useful for drivers of non-stop services where a
departure signal is not visible from the approach side of a station - they
know when they can proceed into the platform without the prospect of having
to stop in the platform with the attendant issues of passengers trying to
board or leave the train.  Bardwell Park and Bexley North on the down are
two examples of this situation.

Chris

87skho$v72$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:87skho$v72$1@nnrp1.deja.com...