Re: Fate of 85/86 class

Barry Campbell wrote:

> Maurie Daly wrote in message ...
>
> <snip>
>
> >As to the costs of running electrics vs diesels there is something wrong
> here
> >although I dont know what.
> >When the 85/86 s were bought , and indeed the same argument would go for
> the
> >original 46s,the price of diesel would have been the cheapest it has ever
> been

I seem to recall that in the original analysis for the Blue Mountains
electrification that it was stated by the various branches of the railways that
electrification was by far the cheaper alternative than dieselisation of the
route in running costs.  With the added advantage been that Australia has
basically an almost endless supply of coal vs a finite supply of oil.