Re: [VIC] Major Storm Disruption, Melbourne, 21 Dec 2000

"Tony Lammens" <lammens@connexus.net.au> wrote in message
3A4451FA.5ED5@connexus.net.au">news:3A4451FA.5ED5@connexus.net.au...
> One result was that a large tree on the north side of the Caulfield
> group tracks between Armadale and Malvern, just west of the
> Malvern Central shopping centre.  The tree fell onto (at least) the
> 2 northern (Dandenong) line train tracks (the line is quadruplicated
> up to Caulfield). It brought-down the overhead over several hundred
> metres also.
>
> Power supply was apparently severely disrupted over the whole area.
> The two remaining tracks were used for the evening peak service, and
> service was severely disrupted. I was on the 1711 from Spencer St to
> Frankston (which actually left at 1723). Announcements at stations
> informed passengers of delays of 15-20 minutes due to the usage of
> only two tracks. My express service ended up leaving Caulfield
> around 1802 (scheduled around 1730) having travelled at walking
> pace from South Yarra onwards - about 10 minutes to get from Sth
> Yarra to Hawksburn alone.

I didn't travel in daytime today, but tonight (Friday night) they were still
using the two Frankston tracks, and a sign at South Yarra suggested they
hadn't used the Dandenong tracks all day.

Daniel

--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au