Re: The Vic privatised Rail System

Answering your questions one by one.

> Not living in VIC anymore , there are some aspects to all of this that
> I dont understand.
>
> 1/ In the Metro area where we have the two franchised suburban rail
> operators , who is responsible for track maintenance .

It is all defined.  From East Richmond and Jolimont out Connex looks
after its tracks, from that point in Bayside looks after all tracks (and
its Suburban area).  Same goes for overhead and signalling.

> Are there any common tracks , ie tracks over which both operators
> regularily run.

Mainly the Connex Empty cars to Flemington Racecourse.  Everything in
the City is Bayside (ie track, overhead and signals) but Connex and
Bayside do share things like Platform 4 at Flinders Street.

> Do both of the operators have a track access regime for other
> operators who wish to run over their tracks.

Not sure.

> Who owns / is responsible for the stations , including Flinders St and
> Spencer St.

The stations them selves are Connex (Spencer Street everything past the
barriers in the subway including platforms 9-14, rest is V/Line pass)
platform edges, retaining walls, signalling, overhead and tracks is all
Bayside.

> Who operates and pays for manning of signal boxes , including Metrol.

I suppose each Company (Metrol is basically 2 halves now, Connex and
Bayside, but it is still integrated quite well)

> 2/ In the country where NXP runs most of the country trains does it
> have to negotiate access rights to run over other peoples tracks.
> eg if NXP want to run a train from Spencer St to Geelong who does it
> have to gain access rights from , who provides the train control.

Train Control is Freight Australia.

> Who staffs and pays for the signallers at Werribee,Nth Geelong A,B and
> C and Sth Geelong.

All depends on what else the Signaller has to do.  Werribee is Bayside,
Nth Geelong A, B and Geelong A is Freight Australia, and South Geelong
is V/Line pass (because he sells tickets).

> Who maintains the signalling communications etc, which is common to
> both FA and ARTCs tracks.

Dual gauge lines (main lines only) are looked after by ARTC.

> Sorry for the heap of questions , but Ive never understood how all
> this can work properly.

Are you confused yet?  (I am)

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news