Re: Another study 'will scuttle fast train'

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:56:23 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>A Cabinet decision to defer the Canberra to Sydney very-fast train while
>it studies the feasibility of a fast rail network along the entire eastern
>seaboard would effectively scuttle the project, industry sources said
>yesterday.
>
>Federal Cabinet discussed the $4.5 billion Speedrail project
>yesterday afternoon but made no announcement.
>
>While the Government has promised an announcement within two weeks,
>supporters of the train fear the decision will be put off while a further
>feasibility study is done into a longer network linking Melbourne to
>Brisbane.
>
>(Canberra Times, 12/12)

This is the Sir Humphrey approach.
When you want to scuttle a project without actually being seen to
scuttle it ,set up numerous inquiries and feasability studies into all
aspects of the project with no minimum time frame set .
By the time all the studies have been done everyone will have
forgotten why they were started in the first place.
Reminds me somewhat of the saga of all the inquiries and studies that
have been done into re aligning the main south line .
Some 26 studies lie gathering dust whilst nothing happens.

My bet is that Badgerys creek wont be built.
Speedrail wont happen and about all that will happen is a minor
upgrading of Bankstown Airport to accept regional passenger services.
There may be a token improvement into the public transport access to
Bankstown.

Even last nite on the ABC , JH was marvelling at how well Mascot
handled the extra olympic traffic.
Code for "why do we need an extra Sydney Airport when this one is
working so well".

MD