Re: Airport rail goes bust

Barry Campbell <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
xxNV5.50441$SF5.936220@ozemail.com.au">news:xxNV5.50441$SF5.936220@ozemail.com.au...

> Taliesin Walker wrote in message <3a27165d.1302034@news.chariot.net.au>...
> >The worst thing about this is that it means that any other city in
> >Australia (say Melbourne) that wants to build an airport rail link
> >will have a hell of a time trying to get private sector involvement.
> >At least that is how it seems to me.
> >

> What other cities than Melbourne would want to do this any way?
>
> Adelaide? Perth? Hobart? Darwin? Newcastle? Longreach?? (Sorry)

Well, for Newcastle at least, it's overshadowed by big brother Sydney.. the
airport up here doesn't even have many jets flying in and out (I always
thought that that would be one way for the airlines to make a pile, fly
direct from Newcastle to a lot more places.  A lot of people would
appreciate it).  Secondly, the RAAF controls Newcastle airport and the
airspace around it, consequently restricting flights.  Finally, from
Newcastle to Williamtown, in a straight line, is about 15km or so, road
distance is about 40km, due to there being no direct way across the Harbour.
A rail link would have the same problem.

BTW, the sooner they either rip up the line into Newcastle or do more to
promote its use the better.

Al