ARHS - "Rail Map New South Wales"

Being the map gunzel I am, I shelled out a week or so ago $14.95 (incl GST) for
a copy of a large sheet of paper with the above title.  Unfortunately, the ARHS
have not done their reputation any good at all by putting their name to this
publication.  There are just so many inaccuracies and omissions that it cant be
seriously used as a historical reference document.

For instance, the map purports in its legend to show "Non-operational or closed
lines".  Without really trying, and without referring to any other reference
material, I can think of sixteen complete lines in this category which are
totally absent from the map (see below).  The legend also purports to show
stations "without rail service (or station site)", however I would say that the
stations marked on the map would be no more than 25% of stations that have
existed.  Even some junction stations like Demondrille for example do not
figure, and even the open passenger stations on Skitube are not identified!
Further, the map purports to show "Connecting Road Coach Routes", but there are
some major omissions here, such as Cootamundra to Canberra for example and many
other strange quirks.  There is no attempt to show interesting things like main
line diversions etc, and whilst I dont know much about them, I suspect that it's
light on when it comes to industrial railways in the Newcastle/Cessnock/Kurri
Kurri area.

There are other problems - but you get my point.

I think its great to print such a map, but unfortunately this one doesn't cut
the mustard as a historical or reference work, and it aint worth $14.94.

* Lines omitted according to my casual analysis:  Newnes, Abattoirs, Warwick
Farm Racecourse, Anzac Rifle Range, Morpeth, Kurrajong, Burrinjuck (tramway),
Camden, Ballina, Condong, Kunama, Tarrawingee, Mount Hope, Tweed Heads, Lette,
Stony Crossing.