Re: [Qld] Bus Hits Cane Train - Update

This may sound stupid, but what can someone explain the H in 0-6-0DH?  What
actually is a hydraulic transmission, I mean, what defines it?

Some internal combustion locos have simple mechanical transmissions, like a
truck, with foot operated clutch and gear-box with several speeds;  the
Malcolm Moores of 1943 with Ford V8s  (4wPM) are a common example.

Diesel electrics, of course, have electric traction motors powered by diesel
engines.  But in between, there are the following:

Some have automatic transmission, rather like a car, with no clutch but a
fluid coupling, and self changing gears (eg the QR A10 No.6 look-alike on
the 2' gauge at Seaworld in the late 70s {BTW, what is the current status of
that the loco?}).

Then there are those with gears that are changed by the driver, but without
a clutch (semi-automatic), like on the Baguley 0-6-0DM Bally-hooley loco at
Port Douglas, and countless others.

Then you get diesel hydraulics, like on the Emu Bay Railway and most modern
sugar cane locos.  How do they work?

Cheers

James