Re: Sydney Rail - It's the pits according to the NY Times

Very good!

The Manhattan subway system seemed to me to be very efficient at delivering
people around the city. To give you an idea of how the subways worked..
there were route letters on the front of every train which signify where the
trains go. That was basically the only way to know where you were going.

"Which train do we catch to get to <blah blah>?"
"the downtown E"

Their entrance system was clever: you buy tokens for (then) $1.50, plop them
in the turnstyle and walk through. Another option was a Metro Card (or
something similar) which worked on a per use basis.

On New Years Eve 97/98, the subway was subsidised (ie. FREE) to discourage
people to drive to times square.

Apparently, the NY rail system carries millions of people per day. Even if
every person in Sydney caught a train, we probably wouldn't reach NY's
patronage. Mind you, they basically have one station per block. We have a
lot less than that, but then again, people have to realise Sydney only has 4
million people.

Mitch

pAHm5.24$E63.3838@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:pAHm5.24$E63.3838@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...